Monday, December 10, 2007

It's a Wonderful Life (Liberty Films 1946)


Finally! FINALLY! ECM finally has a Jimmy Stewart movie on the blog and what better one to post than It's a Wonderful Life!

Now most everyone has seen the film, but some might not realize the conservative themes that go with it too! The movie talks about faith in God, country, family, friends, and doing the right thing when it matters the most... no matter how much it hurts...

George Bailey (Stewart) has spent his entire life giving of himself to the people of Bedford Falls. He has always longed to travel but never had the opportunity in order to prevent rich skinflint Mr. Potter from taking over the entire town. All that prevents him from doing so is George's modest building and loan company, which was founded by his generous father.

But on Christmas Eve, George's Uncle Billy loses the business's $8,000 while intending to deposit it in the bank. Potter finds the misplaced money and hides it from Billy. When the bank examiner discovers the shortage later that night, George realizes that he will be held responsible and sent to jail and the company will collapse, finally allowing Potter to take over the town. Thinking of his wife, their young children, and others he loves will be better off with him dead, he contemplates suicide.

But the prayers of his loved ones result in a gentle angel named Clarence coming to earth to help George, with the promise of earning his wings. He shows George what things would have been like if he had never been born. In a nightmarish vision in which the Potter-controlled town is sunk in sex and sin, those George loves are either dead, ruined, or miserable. He realizes that he has touched many people in a positive way and that his life has truly been a wonderful one.

Basically it's like this folks, if you have never seen this movie before you might be a member of the Communist party.

Here's the trailer from the film.





The lost original ending...



14 comments:

Brooke said...

OK, I might be a commie, but I've never watched this the entire way through. Jimmy Stewart's voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me, so I just can't make it!

EDGE said...

You dare attack Jimbo?!!?!? :-)

elmers brother said...

yeah brooke what's wrong with you?

Frankly the original ending leaves me much more satisfied.

EDGE said...

I don't know Elm...I think I would have reacted the other way with Mr. Potter.

nanc said...

i'm watching "the devil's arithmetic" tonight...again...

BROOKE!

i love your candor.

Brooke said...

That lost ending sure is action packed! :D

EDGE said...

Yep Jimmy's laying an "ass wha wha wha whoppin" on Potter!

Michael said...

That is a great film. Thanks.

Brooke, you're a pinko. I never woulda guessed!

ASM826 said...

I wrote that lost ending, but they edited out most of the beating, so I told them to use the happy one instead.

EDGE said...

ASM826,

I KNEW IT!!!

Papa Frank said...

I, too, have no love for this movie. If you're looking for a textbook on overacting and mellowdrama I guess it would be okay. Sorry guys! Just keepin' it real.

nanc said...

edge - we finally watched it and i have my somewhat review up at curtains - you're not going to like it!

elmers brother said...

I meant the lost original

EDGE said...

Elm,

Oh sorry! Got lost in my own joke!

Frank Fam,

Your stock is slipping... naw just pickin!

Nanc,

I'm shocked beyond belief! I thought this one would be up your alley!

Michael,

I don't think we need to worry about Brooke going to the dark side.