Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Open Range (Universal 2003)


Folks, sometimes bad guys...just need their asses kicked...and kicked hard! In what is probably Kevin Costner's best movie, Open Range is a classic Western set in Montana. The underlying plot revolves around the range wars of the late 1800s. These wars were a conflict between cattlemen who believed in free access to water and grass for everyone, and land barons who used barbed wire to fence off their empires, while denying access to the free-range cattlemen who were moving their herds.

Boss Spearman (Robert Duvall) is a free-range cattleman and Charley Waite (Kevin Costner) is his younger partner. Waite is a former Civil War soldier and gunslinger.

The story involves the confrontation between Spearman and greedy land baron Denton Baxter (Michael Gambon) and corrupt Sheriff Poole for control of Spearmans herd and his right to live the life he has always known.

The film ends with a dramatic gunfight between Spearman and Waite and Baxter and a group of his heavily armed thugs. Seeing the fight coming many of the people in the town flee into the surrounding hills.

Open Range is an outstanding example of a unique American film genre. Clear in its old-fashioned values, it is a beautifully filmed, well acted and loyal to its historic traditions.

If you like guns, you'll like this movie... a whole lot!



BOOM! HEADSHOT!

13 comments:

Brooke said...

Oh, what an AWESOME movie!

We watch this every time it comes on TV, and it's on our "want to get" list!

That, and most of the Tom Selleck westerns.

EDGE said...

Brooke,

This ranks right up there will my favorite westerns. "Quigley Down Under" is a favorite of mine too which stars Selleck. Have you see that one?

Brooke said...

Oh, definitely!

Very good, that one!

Brooke said...

Hey, if I drop a few f-bombs, will your cuss-o-meter go up?

EDGE said...

Maybe, fire away and see what happens...

nanc said...

one of our favorites!

although i do not care for kevin costner's acting - ANYTHING with robert duvall is topnotch in my book.

nanc said...

best tom selleck movie ever:

MONTE WALSH!

get it - you won't be sorry.

sorry no av - i've signed in with my new gmail...

EDGE said...

Nanc,

Yah I like Duvall too! You know it's going to be good if he's in it! I'll have to check out Monte Walsh the next time I'm out!

Papa Frank said...

Come on nanc!!! Everybody knows the best Tom Selleck film is Quigley Down Under. Although I must admit I've never seen Monte Walsh.

Michael said...

Sounds like a good film. Maybe I can get someone to bring it on DVD, and it can go in the collection of good films that I never have time to watch...

Ah, well.

"Quigley" was fun flick, too.

"I said I didn't see much use for one. I never said I didn't know how to use one."

EDGE said...

Frank Fam,

I've never Monte either, but it would be tough to knock off Quigley.

Michael,

Yah man you should check this out! Great flick!

ASM826 said...

Hey, you need f-bombs, I know people that can do it.

That's the way to end a gunfight.

EDGE said...

asm826,

That guy who got shot in the head probably wanted to drop an f-bomb or two!