Monday, June 2, 2008

Volunteers (HBO 1985)


Usually the Cold War is not a funny topic, unless you've seen the Tom Hanks and John Candy classic Volunteers. The funny thing is most people I've talked to have never even heard of this film, let alone seen it. So more than likely you are in for a big treat!

Here is some interesting trivia I found on IMDb. Tom Hanks and 'Rita Wilson' met while filming this movie and married three years later. Rita Wilson originally met Tom Hanks in 1981 on the set of "Bosom Buddies" (1980) when she guest-starred as Peter Scolari's Satan-worshiping girlfriend. But their relationship wasn't kindled until they were reunited on the set of this movie. Here is the movie summary!

Lawrence is a rich kid with a bad accent and a large debt. After his father refuses to help him out, Lawrence escapes his angry debtors by jumping on a Peace Corp flight to Southeast Asia, where is assigned to build a bridge for the local villagers with American-As-Apple-Pie Washington State Grad Tom Tuttle and the beautiful and down-to earth Beth Wexler. What they don't realize is that the bridge is coveted by the American traitors, a local Communist force, and a powerful drug lord. Together with the help of At Toon, the only English speaking native, they must fight off the three opposing forces and find out what is right for the villagers, as well as themselves.

Here is the trailer.



"You sly boots you..."

10 comments:

WomanHonorThyself said...

thanks Edge for the constant updates..too cool!

Brooke said...

I've never heard of this one; I'll have to throw it in my queue!

Anonymous said...

Saw this one way back in the day, EDGE. I do remember it being hilarious! LOVE the new avitar!!! Heheheheheeeharharrr!
You crack me UP!

kevin said...

I never heard of it either, with Hanks and Candy no less.

Papa Frank said...

I must bow my head and join the ever-increasing line of those who have never heard of this movie. Where would we be without you Edge? I'll have to find this somewhere and pop some popcorn.

EDGE said...

Angel,

Thanks! I hope you have a chance to see this!

Brooke,

Netflix should have it. If not, try Blockbuster or Hollywood Video.

Pinky,

It was pretty good wasn't it? I'm always changing my avitar. I think this one sums up my love life.

Kevin,

I think this was right before Splash also with Hanks and Candy.

Frank Fam,

It's good! You'll like it!

Gayle said...

Add me to the list of those who have never heard of it. Thanks, Edge! :)

EDGE said...

It's funny Gayle! It's a really good flick!

Anonymous said...

An Oldie but Goodie

EDGE said...

C'mon DD2!

1985 was only...10, 15, 20...damn that was a long time ago.