Sunday, October 26, 2008

Henry V (MGM 1989)

My boss introduced me to this movie and said I would enjoy it...and I did! If you enjoy Shakespeare and love a good war flick, Henry V is going to be one you'll remember for a long time.

I have to admit most of the dialogue was way over my head, but the overall story is what was most important to me. A young King, looked upon as a playboy by his enemies, is denied land that he's entitled. What his enemies didn't expect was that the King and his small army would fight for it. But victory is not easy and the King learns what it takes to lead not only his troops, but to lead his country.

A pro-militaty, pro-victory, pro-country film, Henry V is the Edge Conservative Movie of the Week!

Here is the trailer...





Henry V Saint Crispin's Day Speech. This should get you fired up!



13 comments:

Borepatch said...

May be the most inspiring scene in English Literature.

It's quite a contrast with Laurence Olivier's WWII version, which was much more highbrow, and to my taste much less rousing.

EDGE said...

Ted,

Never saw that version before, but I think you're right. It's hard to rop this one.

Nanc,

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I sure wish I could take someone special to see it...maybe one day.

Brooke said...

I love Kenneth Brennah (sp?) in this!

The St. Crispin Day's speech is one of my all time favorite movie scenes; it is SO well delivered.


Hey, Edge... Have you seen KB in "Much Ado About Nothing?"

It's really fun.

EDGE said...

Brooke,

No I haven't seen that. Is it older than Henry V?

kevin said...

On to Netflix!

EDGE said...

Kev,

You're gonna like this one!

Brooke said...

"Much Ado" was made in 1993. It's really funny!

Linky.

Brooke said...

Of course, you have to get over Keanu Reaves having a role. LOL!

EDGE said...

Brooke,

Whoa.

:O)

Z said...

thanks for the recommendation...sounds like something Mr AND Mrs Z would like to see.

Steve Harkonnen said...

It's the Shakespeare part that bothers me....I can't stand him, and yet I am an English major, go figure.

I once told a professor of mine that Shakespeare was the answer to those of us who just wanted to find an excuse to visit a theatre, and fall fast asleep.

Mantha said...

yes, kenneth branaugh in much ado about nothing is brilliant! his scenes with emma thompson are excellent.

also, he does a hilarious job in harry potter and the chamber of secrets as gilderoy lockhart.

he's a great actor.

so, edge, you figured out i'm a fruit. question is---what kind of fruit am i? are you a fruit or a vegetable? what are you? (if you honestly say red bell pepper.....we just might have to do something 'bout that.)

BB-Idaho said...

Many, myself included, think the highlight of the movie was the "Non Nobis Domine" hymn after the battle of Agincourt. The composer, Patrick Doyle, was the
muddy yeoman who began the song solo...