Sunday, August 31, 2008

Tora! Tora! Tora! (Toei Company 1970)


I wanted to save this movie for December, but folks it's just too good (and too accurate) to keep passing up! Below is one user's comments from IMDb about the film...

Whether you want to waste time seeing Brucheimer and Bay's self-indulgently long Pearl Harbor with its totally extraneous fictional romance -- that's up to you. But whether you see it or not, the real history of the human stupidity on both sides of the Pacific that created the attack is clearly portrayed in TORA! TORA! TORA!

The new DVD edition has insightful commentary by the director plus a documentary about the attack. This film is tensely paced and displays and excellent cast. The Jerry Goldsmith score is kept to a minimum but is very effective. The special FX for the attack are all the more impressive considering they were done before the advent of computer generated FX such as those in Pearl Harbor -- and they equal those of Pearl Harbor.

Tora! Tora! Tora! is the real deal, so go out and rent it! You won't be sorry!

Here is the trailer!



A scene from Tora! Tora! Tora!

10 comments:

kevin said...

Nice choice, a truly great film. I can still remember my Dad driving a whole family to San Diego so we could see this movie in the nicest theater possible. Needless to say, I've seen it several times since then.

I also recommend "Midway" and "The Court Martial of Billy Mitchell".

Brooke said...

It's in the queue. Thanks, Edge!

Borepatch said...

Edge, great pic. I remember going to see it with my Boy Scout Troop (must have been in 1970). My Scoutmaster was a WWII vet.

It's a little frightening to think that #2 son is now the age I was then, and I'm now older than my Scoutmaster must have been.

EDGE said...

Kev,

Seen Midway, that would be a good film to add to the blog. Have seen Mitchell yet! I'll have to check that one out!

Brooke,

It's a good one! You'll like it!

EDGE said...

Ted,

Thanks for the visit! I remember seeing this on TV and watching it with my Dad! Don't think Hollywood has ever come close to anything like this!

WomanHonorThyself said...

aw u couldnt hold out eh?..lol..ty Edge..keep em comin!

Right Truth said...

I don't know how many times I've seen that one. I could quote some of the lines by heart.


Debbie Hamilton
Right Truth

nanc said...

haven't seen this one in awhile - every time i've put something into the netflix queue, the children bump me with seven or twelve movies and i don't know how to get my choice to the top!

...ricken'-frackin' smartalecky kidz!

Borepatch said...

Hey Edge, OT, but have you reviewed "The Kingdom"?

EDGE said...

No, Ted, sure haven't. What d'ya think? Is it one of our flicks?