Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Miracle Worker (MGM 1962)

Try something right now at your computer. Try to forget, well...everything. Everything you ever seen, heard, knew...loved. Now, put your fingers in your ears and close your eyes and imagine what you would think the world was like. Total darkness and silence...also known as hell.

OK, open your eyes and take your fingers out of your ears...you look ridiculous.

It's hard to imagine that there are people on this earth who live like this everyday isn't it? It may be even more difficult to imagine that folks like this can have jobs, understand current issues, vote, fall in love, love pizza just like you and me!

The movie that we will be reviewing today my good friends, which is true for those that don't know, is quite honestly one of the most amazing stories of all time...the story of Hellen Keller in The Miracle Worker. However, sometimes I'm not sure which is more amazing Hellen Keller or the determined teacher Annie Sullivan (played by Anne Bancroft in the film). 'Cause folks they don't make teachers and may not make people anymore who were as patient as that gal, let me tell ya'!

Keller, who would be 128 this month, probably would not agree with yours truly that her story would be conservative (apparently she was kinda of a lib). However, Keller's story is an All-American story of faith, patience, hard work and the ultimate love...do we still do that? You bet!

This would be a great family film to watch, so round up the kids for this one! Here is the movie review below from IMDb.

Young Helen Keller, blind, deaf, and mute since infancy, is in danger of being sent to an institution. Her inability to communicate has left her frustrated and violent. In desperation, her parents seek help from the Perkins Institute, which sends them a "half-blind Yankee schoolgirl" named Annie Sullivan to tutor their daughter. Through persistence and love, and sheer stubbornness, Annie breaks through Helen's walls of silence and darkness and teaches her to communicate.

Here is the trailer.




Patty Duke did an awesome job in this flick folks!


23 comments:

WomanHonorThyself said...

super recommendation my friend!..I'm backkk!

EDGE said...

That's awesome news! Glad to see you again!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I absolutely adore this movie, EDGE! The scenes with Sullivan force-feeding Helen were so hard to watch, but it must have taken that kind of stubborn-headed determination to work with her. Oh how I admire Annie Sullivan. What a woman. Two great women.
I read Keller's biography as a girl...then watched it later when I was older.
Great flick.
Oh...we joined NetFlix! Woohoo!

Nikki said...

I saw this way back when and you are right Patty Duke was amazing. My son has been talking about Hellen Keller as he just read something about her in school. He really is amazed as a 4th grader, that she endured so much. I appreciate the recommendation as it is timely! I may see if I can find it for him to watch...thx! :)N

EDGE said...

Hey Pinky,

I remember watching this is middle school and no one could believe that this story was true.

I joined Netflix a few weeks ago and I really like it. I know you will too!

Hi Nikki,

This would be great for him to watch. I'm sure a local video store or Netflix will have this!

Birdie said...

hey - it's hard to believe that you're for real in this world full of trashy movies! Yippe!! I'll have to come back often. Rear Window - one of the best movies of all time! Thanks for stopping over at the Maple!

nanc said...

"It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision."

h.k.

here are some more of her awesome quotes.

she definitely had vision.

EDGE said...

Hey Birdie,

Yep, I'm for real! What I find funny is all of the libs that star in a conservative theme movie! That's when all of the questions pop in the ol' brain!

Hey Nanc,

What a cool site! I'll have to check that out when I have more time today!

Brooke said...

We watched this one in Jr. High! Good flick!

EDGE said...

Brooke,

I bet you were part of the "cool kid" group weren't ya'? ;O)

Brooke said...

Yep, I was/am a member of the total D&D dork group!

EDGE said...

Also a proud alumni of the Dork Group yours truly!

Gayle said...

I read the book and saw the movie twice, Edge. It's a great recommendation! Helen Keller was an awesome individual and so was her teacher.

Z said...

I love Netflix, folks...do it! It's amazingly convenient and I don't know how they whipped the post office into such quick turn-arounds..you won't believe it!

edge..do you know how many times I've tried to block everything out and picture how the H Helen EVER realized ANYTHING? I mean.....from nothingness to brilliance!? Annie Sullivan must have been quite a woman, too.

I love the film..thanks for this!

EDGE said...

She sure was Gayle. If you know anybody who hasn't seen this yet...tell 'em!

Z,

Netflix is pretty awesome! I was trying to find a particular movie today and all of the video rental places didn't have it but Netflix did! I am very impressed on how fast I can get the movies I want too!

This story about Keller is amazing isn't it? Sullivan was quite a woman too!

kevin said...

I heard great things about this film, but have never gotten around to seeing it yet. It will appear on my queue soon.

EDGE said...

Kev,

Yah, you're gonna love it! It's great stuff!

Brooke said...

Netflix is definitely awesome! My only gripe is that their 'play now' feature is not Mac compatible.

I have a recommendation for you: Justice League: The New Frontier.

It's set in the fifties, and is made more for older kids/adults. (There is a bit of cussing and a few somewhat graphic scenes.) VERY COOL!

EDGE said...

Brooke,

That does look pretty cool! I'll have to check that out! I always had a crush on Wonder Woman! :OP

Brooke said...

Yeah, except when she went through that butch short-haired phase.

I've always thought BW is hunky. :)

EDGE said...

You know (sniff) they used my body when they drew that dontcha?

Brooke said...

Including the scars? Ouch! ;)

EDGE said...

Gotta be tough, girl.