Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Pride of the Yankees (MGM 1942)

When I was in middle school, I did a report on a book called Iron Horse: Lou Gehrig in His Time. I remember coming home from school with an "A" on my paper and proudly showed it to my Mom. She smiled and said, "You know, they made a movie about him too, right?"

My Mom is smart. She knew I would have watched the movie and not read the book.

So, that weekend I remember going down to the local video store and renting Pride of the Yankees and watching it with my Mom and Dad. What a great story Lou Gehrig had and what a tragic end of his life. Yankee fan or not, baseball fan or not, his story is a true American story.

Now, years later, I have a friend of mine who has Lou Gehrig's disease (also known as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis or ALS). Like Gehrig, she is facing this cruel disease with the same courage and faith...something I know I couldn't possibly do. It is a real pleasure to call her my friend and she and her husband are great examples for my life.

To learn more about ALS please visit this website.

Cooper's scene with Gehrig's famous speech at Yankee Stadium...



The whole movie is on YouTube! Here's Part 1!

9 comments:

Borepatch said...

Baseball has so many great stories. Bull Durham (not family-friendly) distills a lot into one film.

Of course, it is the Yankees, and I am watching the Red Sox in the ALCS right now.

Dang it, Edge! Don't jinx it! Oh noes!

JihadGene said...

Thanks Edge! It's great stuff. Old movies. Gary Cooper. Baseball.

nanc said...

my ex-bro-in-law has als - and of course this movie is quite a tearjerker.

p.s. - i've linked you up at my new site.

Brooke said...

Ah, the golden days.

I miss real baseball.

WomanHonorThyself said...

woohoo great choice!!!..pass the apple pie!

Ticker said...

Baseball, like good movies died in the late 60's. The only difference is baseball hasn't been buried yet. It continues to pretend to be American's favorite , played in empty stadiums by a group of overpaid primadonnas and egotist. A huge tombstone needs to be placed on the pitchers mound of every wasted stadium in this country and let the fat lady sing, cause folks it's over, it's been over just like good movies.

EDGE said...

Ted,

I liked Bull Durhama too. AAMOF, remember the scene where they waterd the field down for a rain delay...it was filmed in Wilson, NC and I've seen a few games there as well as old Durham Athletic Park, now torn down.

Jihadgene,

Ya' can't go wrong with that combo can ya?

Nanc,

Hopefully we can find a cure for this disease soon. Thanks for the link!

Brooke,

It's still around. See if your area has a collegiate summer baseball league. It's so much fun!

Angel,

I hear ya'! Bet everybody in NY likes this oldie!

Ticker,

Nah, gotta disagee. You need to check out a collegiate summer baseball league down there in TX! Good stuff! Kids play hard and it's good baseball!

Mantha said...

edge,

i remember stumbling across this movie in college, during a night of insomnia. it was on one of those classic movie channels. i got caught up in the story immediately, and, of course, cried at the end when he gave his speech at yankee stadium.

and now, they've closed yankee stadium. how sad.

Anonymous said...

I heart Gary Cooper. I'll have to put this one in the queue, too!

I love minor league baseball. I've been to a few MLB games, but they can't beat the atmosphere of the minors.

Actually, I prefer minor league anything!