Sunday, July 27, 2008

Burnt by the Sun (Sony Pictures 1994)


Let me give a hat tip to my buddy Kev over at Amboy Times for this great suggestion!

This is the second foreign language film to be the Edge Conservative Movie of the Week, and just like The Lives of Others, Burnt by the Sun will not disappoint. This Russian film won an Oscar for Best Foreign Picture in 1994. Here's the plot...

Russia, 1936: revolutionary hero Colonel Kotov is spending an idyllic summer in his dacha with his young wife and six-year-old daughter Nadia and other assorted family and friends. Things change dramatically with the unheralded arrival of Cousin Dmitri from Moscow, who charms the women and little Nadia with his games and pianistic bravura. But Kotov isn't fooled: this is the time of Stalin's repression, with telephone calls in the middle of the night spelling doom - and he knows that Dmitri isn't paying a social call.

I hope you like subtitles, because there is no English version available. However, this is a great flick to watch and I know you'll enjoy it as much as I did!

Here is a documentary of the film. WARNING! SPOILER ALERT!



A deleted scene!

14 comments:

Brooke said...

Never heard of this one; I'll have to check it out!

Right Truth said...

Sounds great. There is so much coming out of Hollywood that I wouldn't waste my time or money going to see these days.

Thanks.

Debbie Hamilton
Right Truth

kevin said...

I'm so glad you liked it, Edge. It's ironic how the most anti-Communist films come from Russia. Check this one out when you get a chance.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103838/

EDGE said...

Brooke,

You'll like it! You have the ECM Guarantee on that! ;O)

Debbie,

Funny that this should come from Russia isn't it?

Kev,

Trying to find the Inner Circle. Last time I looked Netflix did not have it. I did watch the Killing Fields and I will post that one soon! Thanks again for the suggestion!

WomanHonorThyself said...

oiy subtitles!..lol..ty for the suggestion dude!

EDGE said...

After a while you get use to it, Angel!

elmers brother said...

this sounds intersting Edge.

EDGE said...

Hey Elm,

It's a good flick! Really shows how deceitful Stalin's Russia was. Those folks didn't have a chanceover there. Go to Netflix and pick it up for the weekend! Thanks for posting!

Anonymous said...

It's going in the queueueueueue,
Edge.
Yeeeehaw!

EDGE said...

If you loved The Lives of Others Pinky you'll love this too!

Gayle said...

Thanks. I'll take you up on it. I think it was you who reccommended El Cid? We watched it the other night and enjoyed it immensely although we had seen it many years ago.

cube said...

Never heard of this either. Have you got any conservative horror movies I can watch?

EDGE said...

Gayle,

Glad you liked El Cid! You'll like this too!

Cube,

Uh...Ghostbusters? Do you have any that I should check out?

Z said...

hey edge...you ever check the email account on your site? Nooo? Oh, THAT's why!!

You are KILLING me with some of your comments in the blogosphere.....clever, clever, clever. Thanks for the smiles!

And thanks for this head's up. THE LIVES OF OTHERS is SUCH a great film I'm glad you mentioned it again. Anyone who's not seen that is really missing something.

This new one can't be out on Netflix yet, can it?