Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A Letter from the President

Well, today is ol' Edge's 34th Birthday!

Since I have one wish today...I wish that all of you would take some time and honor the Veteran's that make our freedoms possible! Maybe you can even give them a hand!

The Fisher House
My Soldier

Now here's an interesting short read about this very special day!


A letter to Harvey V. Higley, Administrator of Veterans' Affairs, designating him Chairman, Veterans Day National Committee

THE WHITE HOUSE OFFICE

October 8, 1954

Dear Mr. Higley:

I have today signed a proclamation calling upon all of our citizens to observe Thursday, November 11, 1954 as Veterans Day. It is my earnest hope that all veterans, their organizations, and the entire citizenry will join hands to insure proper and widespread observance of this day. With the thought that it will be most helpful to coordinate the planning, I am suggesting the formation of a Veterans Day National Committee. In view of your great personal interest as well as your official responsibilities, I have designated you to serve as Chairman. You may include in the Committee membership such other persons as you desire to select and I am requesting the heads of all departments and agencies of the Executive branch to assist the Committee in its work in every way possible.

I have every confidence that our Nation will respond wholeheartedly in the appropriate observance of Veterans Day, 1954.

Sincerely,

DWIGHT D. EISENHOWER

8 comments:

WomanHonorThyself said...

hey there Edge!..Happy Vets DAY!..Remember all who have served and are still serving.

nanc said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, EDGE!

and thank you to all veterans!

Borepatch said...

Happy birthday, Edge! And I love what Fisher House does.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the links for the soldiers, Edge. I'm so very thankful for all of our brave men and women who put it all on the line for me and mine each and every day.


And...HapPY BiRthDay!!!!!!!!
Go drink ONE Killian's Irish Red.
:-)

Z said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Edge...all the best. I hope you had a GREAT day

Oscar1986 said...

happy birthday. Thank you for always keeping up a awesome blog!

Papa Frank said...

Happy Birthday Edge!!! And many, many, many equally happy returns.

nanc said...

one more thing - you put "ol" and "34" in the same sentence again and it'll be your last birthday, ya hear me?

my eldest daughter just turned 36 this past saturday!